INGREDIENTS (serves about 6-8)
- 1.5 cups black glutinous rice (available at Asian supermarkets for about $5-6 AUD for 1 kg bag)
- 1 x 400 mL can coconut milk or cream (you will use some in rice and some to serve and some in ice cream if you want to serve it with that too….there will still be some left over to have in a smoothie or hot drink too.)
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or any other sweetener of choice (more or less to taste – I prefer less personally)
- Rinse and soak rice in some water for about 12-24 hours.
- Drain rice and put in medium pot with 1/2 cup coconut milk / cream and 2 cups water.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until thick and creamy.
- Add vanilla, cinnamon and coconut sugar to taste.
- Allow to cool slightly and serve with ice cream (see links below) / drizzle of coconut cream.
- Can refrigerate and reheat rice as desired – keeps for about a week.
Black sesame icecream – I also added some coconut cream to the mix (just enough to make it mix more quickly – you don’t need to but it is nice and helps the consistency of left overs when frozen)