Not so good news: I am currently using a camp stove, a microwave, a slow cooker and a food processor (and an old trestle table) as my kitchen. Don’t even ask where we are washing fruit and vegetables or the dishes! 😦
If I can manage this recipe in my current (lack of) kitchen then you can all manage it in a functional one.
CRUST – for about 16 tartlets (5cm) and a bit of left over for more 🙂
- 4 cups oats
- 1 cup dates
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon ginger
Pulse in food processor until a ball of dough is formed or form-able.
Press into patty pan moulds in muffin tins.
LEMON CURD – enough to fill about 16 tartlets and plenty left over to freeze in ice cube trays as a frozen treat or to make ice cream
- 3 cups dates (or less if you prefer less sweet and more tart)
- zest and juice 8 large lemons (Meyer are best)
- 1 teaspoon agar powder
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot (tapioca) starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 teaspoon lemon essence (optional)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
- 1 tin coconut cream (400 ml)
- 2 -3 teaspoons coconut oil
Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil, stirring to avoid lumps. Simmer for about 5 minutes, stir in coconut cream and coconut oil.
Blend with a stick blender or in a food processor.
Cool and let thicken a bit more.
Spoon mix into crusts and then set in fridge for a few hours or freezer if you prefer firmer and ice creamy. Use remaining mix to make ice cream by freezing in small ice cubes and blending in food processor when frozen.