Miss 4.5 decided that it was baking day and proceeded to tell me what to put in the cupcakes. She helped enthusiastically (particularly when it came to licking the bowl) and together we came up with this recipe. The recipe made 12 standard cupcakes, 24 mini cupcakes, 1×20 cm cake and 1×10 cm round cake.
MISS Z’S MONDAY CUP CAKES (banana, apple and quinoa)
Set oven to probably 170-180 degrees Celsius if you have an oven that is “normal” (I did mine on around 150 and they still caught on the bottom – can’t wait for the new kitchen!!)
Line tins with patty pans or baking paper as relevant to what you are making.
- 3 ripe bananas (riper the better)
- 2 apples (we used granny smith)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 heaped teaspoons linseed
- 16 tablespoons water
- 2 cups cooked (cold) quinoa (we used white)
- 3 cups almond pulp (about 2 cups almonds made into almond milk yields this)
- 1/4 cup hulled tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/3 cup each buckwheat flour, besan (chickpea flour) and arrowroot (tapioca flour).
- 3/4 cup sultanas
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- In a large bowl mix water and linseed and let is stand for a bit (5-10 minutes).
- In food processor, blend bananas, apples, cinnamon, vanilla, quinoa, almond pulp and tahini until smooth.
- Blend in the linseed / water mix.
- Transfer wet mix back to large bowl (see I saved you washing an extra bowl here ;)) and add in flours, sultanas and baking powder and mix in well.
- Put mix in patty pans and cake tins. Cupcake size took about 20 mins and cakes about 30 minutes. Just take out when skewer comes out clean and tops (and hopefully not bottoms) are starting to brown slightly.
- Cool on rack.