Mum’s birthday dinner and I offered to do mains and birthday cake.
I made really good lasagne for mains which went down a treat. Good news: Made heaps so there are leftovers for 1-2 meals this week. Bad news: forgot to write down what I put in it and in what quantities specifically – especially the “cheese” sauce which I based on coconut cream and butter beans rather than nuts…..I guess this means I might have to try and recreate it….this time with measuring implements handy and a pencil and paper. Watch this space.
The cake however I can remember as I was going to write it down at the time.
This makes x2 20cmcakes and x1 small 10cm cake.
- 6 small or 3 large ripe bananas
- 4 teaspoons flax meal
- 3 cups soy milk (or almond milk)
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 4 heaped tablespoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee / decaf coffee (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons maple and or rice malt syrup (if bananas are really ripe you won’t need it)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups gluten free flour (which was made up of 2 cups gluten free flour mix from woolworths and 2/3 cup buckwheat flour, 2/3 cup potato flour, 1/3 cup besan flour and 1/3 cup coconut flour) – you could mix and match with what you have or prefer.
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- Heat oven to 150 degrees celcius (or a little warmer if your oven is kind of average and not super hot like mine). Line tins with baking paper.
- In food processor or large blender jug / stick mix jug put peanut butter, bananas, vanilla, syrup if using, apple cider vinegar, flax meal, coffee (if using), and cocoa and blend until smooth. Gently stir in milk or process in if using a blender or stick mix. Leave to stand for a while.
- In a large bowl combine flours and baking powder.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix to a thick batter.
- Scrape into tins and flatten with a spatula.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes until skewer comes out clean.
- Cool on racks.
PEANUT BUTTER CREAM:
Makes about enough for small cake and one large cake.
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 8-10 dates soaked 1/3 cup hot water for 10 minutes
Blend ingredients in stick mix blender, mill or small food processor until smooth.
Cut cakes in half once cooled, and sandwich together with butter cream. Optionally you could put the cream on top also (make extra if you wish to do this).