Makes x2 20cm round cakes
2 cups of quinoa – cooked (in 3 cups water – may need to pre rinse depending on brand) and cooled preferably ahead of time
300-400 gms pitted dates soaked in water (and the water too)
1 cup cocoa
4 tablespoons psyllium husks mixed with about 1 cup water (leave to gel up)
2 heaped tablespoons coconut flour
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 tsp baking poweder
1 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts (or just blitz a bit at the end in the food processor)
1/2 – 3/4 cup of dried cranberries (could use raisins or goji or similar)
extra water as needed.
Oven 170 C
Line x2 tins with baking paper
1. Chuck the soaked dates, soaking water, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon in food processor and blitz until smooth (it should look like melted chocolate and taste fairly similar too).
2. Add in the psylium gel and blitz again to combine
3. Add in 1/2 the quinoa, apple cider vinegar and baking power and blitz again to combine / break down quinoa slightly
4. In a large bowl combine most of the chocolate mix with the rest of the quinoa
5. With the remaining chocolate mix in the food processor pulse through the pecans and cranberries and then add to the bowl
6. Combine everything until well mixed
7. Spoon into prepared tins and smooth out with spatula.
8. Bake 30-40 mins or until skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out clean
9. Cool in tin for a bit and then on rack
10. Enjoy as is or ice with a date / cocoa / water based icing or coconut milk / cocoa / date icing (if want more creamy)
Freezes well (un-iced) for snacks (freeze in slices individually wrapped).