Version 4 on the quiona chocolate cake theme
Makes x2 20cm round cakes
2 cups of quinoa – cooked (in 3 cups water – may need to pre rinse depending on brand) and cooled preferably ahead of time
1.5 cups pitted dates soaked in water (and a little of the water too)
1 cup cocoa
2 very ripe banana
1 medium zucchini
1 tablespoon coconut butter (optional)
3 tablespoons linseed meal and 1 tablespoon psyllium husks mixed with about 1 cup water (leave to gel up)
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 tspn cinnamon
1 tsp baking poweder
3/4 cup roughly chopped pecans or walnuts
1/2 – 3/4 cup of dried cranberries (could use raisins or goji or similar)
extra water as needed.
Oven 170 C
Line x2 tins with baking paper
1. Chuck the soaked dates, bananas zuchini, cocoa, vanilla, cinnamon, coconut butter in food processor and blitz until smooth (it should look like melted chocolate and taste fairly similar too).
2. Add in the psylium gel and blitz again to combine
3. Add in 1/2 (or more if it will fit) of the quinoa, and baking power and blitz again to combine / break down quinoa slightly
4. In a large bowl combine most of the chocolate mix with the rest of the quinoa
5. With the remaining chocolate mix in the food processor pulse through the pecans and cranberries and then add to the bowl (or you can mix all in bowl)
6. Combine everything until well mixed
7. Spoon into prepared tins and smooth out with spatula.
8. Bake 30-40 mins or until skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out clean
9. Cool in tin for a bit and then on rack
10. Enjoy as is or ice with a date / cocoa / water based icing or coconut milk / cocoa / date icing (if want more creamy)
Freezes well (un-iced) for snacks (freeze in slices individually wrapped).